11/1/12

Owl Costume

I was going to say that this was a tutorial in the title of this post. But then I thought about it. This isn't as much of a tutorial as it is me just saying, "look what I did!"


My daughter loves owls and has an owl hat. This was the inspiration to her costume. We bought the hat on clearance last spring. I got the idea to make this from something I saw on Pinterest.


What I Did:

For the wings:

I bought about 2 yards of felt from a roll (I say "about" because I can't remember if I got 2 or 3 yards as I was also making wings for Hawk-girl)
Quilt scraps (with the same color theme)
Pinking shears
Hot glue gun
Ribbon (Enough to make ties at wrists and at neck or shoulders).

I measured my daughter from finger tip to finger tip, with her arms outstretched. Then I folded the large piece of felt in half and cut a wing shape from the fold.



I cut the "feathers" by just eyeballing them. This was the most time consuming part. I didn't even iron them! If it was a little more wrinkled, I just used more glue.

I started at the tip of the wings and worked in from the bottom. I used the hot glue and it worked so well, the only problem was after doing two sets of wings in a row, my fingers where raw!



Lastly, I glued the ribbon on at the tips of the wings and at the neck. I glued a strip of felt over the ribbon just to be sure it held. If you decide to sew this, do it first! because you wont be able to sew through the glue. I made the ribbon long enough at the neck to take the ribbon over her shoulders, and around to her back to tie it. This kept it from pulling on her neck. It made it like a backpack strap instead. It also made it long enough to go over a coat if needed. Although, none of my kids wanted to wear a coat over their costume and it was only like 40 degrees which to them, is warm enough! Considering it was in the 20s last week, I guess I can see their point. Kind of. I wore my big dawn coat. Cause I'm always cold. 


For the Tutu Skirt:

I needed 6 yards of tulle netting.
An elastic band long enough to fit waist.

I sewed the band first,  I only had white and was wishing I had picked up some black, but I was determined to use what I had on hand as much as I could. So we went with white.  I cut the tulle into strips about 5 inches wide and just tied them in a knot around the band. If you look at the next picture you can see the band and the knots. It turned out really cute and I'm thinking the girls would have fun with a pink one, or a blue one. It would also work for a witches skirt too. So many possibilities!



She loved it and so do I!

6 comments:

  1. This is so adorable. Genius idea too! Looks like she had a fabulous Halloween because of it!!

    sjdmiller.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah Jane! She said it was the best Halloween every! We all had fun.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful costume! I love DIY costumes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny! I love DIY costumes too. It's so much more personal!

      Delete
  3. That's so cute! Great job! I'm a big fan of DIY!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks, Y'all for sharing your thoughts! I'm love'n hear'n from ya!